UTAH BASEMENT FINISHING
The creation of a well-thought-through design is crucial to a successful experience. At Dansie Design Build, we are dedicated to making your Basement Finish an enjoyable experience. Not only can we complete the construction of your basement, but we also offer design-build services.
In a design-build environment, one company is responsible for both the design and construction. This simplifies and streamlines the experience for the homeowner, reducing the risk of having details fall between the cracks while working with multiple companies. This gives the design team and the construction team the communication to design a basement that will fit your needs and your budget. You will also benefit from better communication and experience a faster timeline to complete your basement.
How Much Does it Cost to Finish a Basement in Utah?
To get a good idea of the cost to finish a specific basement we have put together a detailed basement finishing cost calculator. You can access our cost calculator here. It will give you a good idea as to the “ballpark” cost your basement may cost depending on the options you choose to have built. A typical basement finish costs between $45,000 and $75,000, some basements may be much more depending on a its size, what is included in the basement, and the level of finish required by the home owner.
What Affects the Price of a Basement Finish?
The Total cost to finish a basement largely depends on a few factors:
- The size of the basement.
- Larger Basements need more materials and more labor to install the materials.
- Kitchens and bathrooms
- Kitchens and Bathrooms are the most costly rooms to build in a home if you are looking at the cost per square foot. Finishing a basement to include a kitchen, a bathroom, removing or modifying a loadbearing wall, or adding a basement walkout entrance will add costs to the total basement finishing cost.
- Lastly, the material choices and level of finish a person chooses for their basement will also affect the cost.
- If you choose to add a kitchen, bathroom, load-bearing wall modification, and a walkout, the cost will easily exceed $75,000 for a 1,000 square foot basement.
If you would like a free estimate on your basement, check out our Basement Finishing Calculator. You can access it HERE.
How Long Does it Take to Finish a Basement?
An average basement takes between 8 and 10 weeks to complete once designs are completed and city permits are received. The designs typically take between 2-4 weeks to complete once a design agreement is in place. City permits typically take between one and two weeks to receive, that time can vary depending on the city and how busy they are.
Most of the basements we finish are completed in 8 weeks or less. If you are planning on making your basement into a basement apartment, the additional work of adding a kitchen and bathroom can add an additional 2-3 weeks to the typical time frame for completion.
Almost all the basements we finish are completed in less than 10 weeks. Once the designs are complete for a basement finish, we are able to put together a project schedule that will show exactly when we will be completing each milestone in the project, and when the project will finish.
How Do You Keep My Home Clean and Safe During Construction?
That’s a great question! We really care about our customer’s homes and the experience they have working with our company. Our customer’s safety and satisfaction are our top priority.
To keep our customer’s upstairs clean we:
- Enter the basement through one of the basement windows every day we work on the basement.
- Install a physical sealed dust barrier at the top of the stairs that lead to the upstairs portion of the home.
- Temporarily block the return air vents in the basement that could feed dusty air to the HVAC system.
- Turn off the HVAC fan while we have drywall dust suspended in the basement air. This helps to keep the HVAC system from picking up the drywall particles and redistributing them throughout the upstairs of the home. Don’t worry, when we do this step, we will only have the fan off for a few hours at a time. Just enough time for the dust to settle on the floor. This short timeframe will keep the house at a comfortable temperature.
To keep our customers safe during the course of construction we:
- Recommend all children remain out of the construction zone.
- Install a temporary deadbolt lock to separate the upstairs from the hazards of the construction-zone downstairs. We use a deadbolt that requires a key from either side. This is great for little children who could otherwise open a regular deadbolt lock. And we give the homeowner a key to that lock while it is installed. If they do not have a door at the top or bottom of their stairs, we will install a physical dust barrier, and that will work twofold: to keep little ones from wandering downstairs and to keep the dust downstairs.
- We maintain current licensing and insurance as required by the State of Utah.
HOW WE CAN HELP YOU
We can help you from start to finish on your basement finishing project. We will handle all the permitting processes and help you step-by-step through the design and material selection process – ensuring you get a great layout and comfortable finishes for your family. Dansie Design Build pulls all the components together to ensure that your basement is finished with a high level of craftsmanship and that you get a professional experience. Feel free to contact us on our Request A Consultation page to start designing your basement.